My porphyria blog: Heartsong by Mattie Stepanek

Heartsong by Mattie Stepanek

I have a song, deep in my heart,
and only I can hear it.
If I close my eyes and sit very still
it is so easy to listen to my song
When my eyes are open
and I am so busy and moving and busy,
if I take time and listen very hard,
I can still hear my heartsong.
It makes me feel happy.
Happier than ever.
Happier than everywhere,
and everything and everyone in the world.
Happy like thinking about
Going to Heaven when I die.
My heartsong goes like this-
I love you! I love you!
How happy can you be!
How happy can you make this whole world be!
And sometimes it's other
Tunes and words, too.
But it always sings the same special song.
But do you know what?
All people have a special song
Inside their hearts!
Everyone in the whole world has a special heartsong.
If you believe in magical, musical hearts.
And if you believe you can be happy
Then you, too, will hear your song.

-Mattie J. Stepanek
1992-2004

Mattie Stepanek was a special young man born with a rare form of MD, which is short for Muscular Dystrophy, it robbed him of his mobility and eventually it robbed him of his life, but as you can see from reading his poem, it did not rob him of his love for life and the people in it. He was a very talented young man who actually became a published author and inspired disabled and non-disabled people alike. He caught the attention of Oprah Winfrey and appeared on her show several times. He was a very sweet, creative and loving young man and I thought I'd share one of his poems here on my blog.

9 comments:

PC Nicholas said...

Beautiful, inspiring poem. I had a reply for you on my blog. I noticed you already are following some blogs. Also to let you know that I have been nominated for a health blog award. Would you vote for me! Thanks.

Penelope said...

Sure, I voted for you. I like your blog a lot too, I had it bookmarked and had already planned to follow you, ty for following me back. Take care.

ENG said...

Unbelieveable. That was a nice poem for a 13-14 year-old.

What happened to her, and did you know her well?

ENG said...

Whoops, I thought "Mattie" sounded like a gal's name. Sorry about that.

I just looked that name up today and saw that he was famous enough to have an entry on Wikipedia. After reading more about him, I thought this was a wonderful thing to do to attempt to cope with what he had. Again, great poem for someone his age!

(By the way, he lived from 1990-2004, not 1992-2006.)

asjmomma said...

Wow love that poem! Mattie short life so sorry to see that. I enjoyed the poem and I hope it inspires and makes me grow with my poetry!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mattie, I wish I had known you- you had a disease and still you fought through it and had a blessed life. I also wish you had lived longer.

Penelope said...

Thank you for your corrections Christian, I made the appropriate changes, this poem really ispires people, as I thought it would thats why I placed it on my blog, ty for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Mattie was 13 when he died. I'm studying him at school.

Unknown said...

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. See the link below for more info.


#deeply
www.ufgop.org

Visitors :)